Monday, January 4, 2016

The Starting Gate

I just want to say how happy I am to have you join me today. Being accountable for my choices somehow makes it easier to stay focused. I hope that you'll find inspiration here, or encouragement, or just a friendly " it's going to be okay" when days seem slow and progress comes to a halt. But, you know, we really can't give up. We owe it to ourselves to be the best we can be.
Today would be a good day to know what diet you are starting. If it means counting calories or points, you should have a calculator, a calorie guide and some good measuring cups in your kitchen. A small food scale is ideal also. I'm always amazed to see what five ounces of meat really is. It's not good to cheat yourself out of the protein you need, but neither is it fair to overindulge by guessing portions. Remember Rule Number One? To be truthful. And that encompasses every single part of a diet. You lie to yourself about that candy bar you snuck in, the extra helping of sweet potatoes, or the amount of water you drank- then you only hurt yourself.
Have your little "Bee" notebook ready and begin entering everything you eat. Everything. Then keep a tally depending on what you are counting or tracking on your particular diet plan. Make adjustments where necessary.
Another thing I suggest is taking a "Before" picture. Sure, you can hide it in the closet or never look at it again, but take it, please. Someday when you've reached your goal, you'll be glad you can compare the old new to the new you.
Remember- the first few days are always the easiest. Rolling into the weekend or beyond, we will meet obstacles and temptations and things start to get real. But give it six months. At least. What's six months of your life? The reward will be so worth it. You know it will.
But what's important to remember besides measuring, weighing, recording and avoiding temptation is -that you are doing this for yourself. It's the one selfish act that no one will judge you for. Your body is yours and your health is all wrapped up inside it like a breathing burrito. Let's get healthy and energetic again. Sadly, we won't get any younger, but it's almost garanteed that we will feel younger. Losing extra pounds is the closest thing to the Fountain of Youth that there is.
Another thing. Spoil yourself. But not with food this time. With bubble baths and manicures and getting your hair done. Save those bigger splurges such as new clothes, a purse -or even a vacation for the milestones such as a 10, 15, 20 pound loses. You deserve to pamper yourself. Remember to use moisturizer, keep flossing and brushing, and taking good care of yourself.
Another thing: eat at the table. Set out a nice placemat or tablecloth and use your best china and glass wear. Eat slowly. Chew well. Don't rush. Enjoy every bite.
Okay, well, that was a lot of information and bossiness, wasn't it?
Do your thing. I'll check back in a few days and see how it's going. And I'll share my struggles if you really want to hear about them. We are all in this together.
But right now I've got to feed the dogs and chickens. They are having beans, cornbread, pineapple upside down cake, Spam, oatmeal cookies, chips, dip and a cheese ball!
Bee all you can bee!  See you soon!


6 comments:

  1. This is going to help me...I hope. I had lost weight, last time I saw you, but weighed this morning and have gained 6 of that back! Oh, and another good idea is to put the time you ate, whatever it is, in your book. Makes you aware of certain times of the day that you might have trouble with. Well, here we go AGAIN! Lol. See you at the finish line! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about the time! I try not to eat after 7, but that's always harder in the summer. Seriously, I hope this helps me, too! How many times have we done this? Lol! Let's hold hands at the finish line! Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, Rae. Well, I'm in. I weighed 1st thing, am scratching around for a notebook, and trying to decide which of the many diets I've tried in the past to use this time around. I'm leaning toward Wheat Belly--it's the easiest to follow and most effective. See you on the skinny side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Karen! Hope we can all improve in the new year!

      Delete
  4. Okay, the scales mysteriously added 3 more pounds this morning. Yes,it is time to face the truth. ..hard but I feel better all ready. It helps to have some friends on the journey with you. So it begins for real this very moment. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I will check in often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, so glad you're on board! Wonderful to have friends to hold my hand thru these times! Lol! Let's go!

      Delete