Sunday, January 3, 2016

And So It Begins

First off, right out of the cattle gate, let me just say this: I hope you're offended by the title of my blog. I hope it makes you uncomfortable, self conscious and well aware that your jeans will soon have to be made in a parachute factory if you don't put down that donut and double mocha latte and slap yourself into reality. And, hey- You're breathing heavy- I can hear it. Or is that me?
I'm not here to preach, I'm here to share. Guess what? I'm fat. It's true. No amount of slimmers, tunics, heels or makeup is going to change what I see in my mirror today. And right there in that reflection is Point A. That's where you start to change your life for the better. Point A is where you quit deceiving yourself, where you stop sucking your gut in hoping it will stay stuck forever and where you finally agree that it's time - that you won't spend another day in blinders. Point A is when you see yourself without filters.
Get naked. Turn around. Sideways now. Forward. Back. Front.
Hey, don't cry. It's just good that we caught it before it inflates any further, before it causes health problems and embarrassing moments at the beach and keeps you from every fun photo on Facebook.
So, right now go weight yourself. Yes, now. While you're naked. This way you're not tempted to estimate the weight of your sweats, tee shirts and socks as 6.2 pounds. Believe me, I've done that. I've lied to myself for years now. Let's not lie, okay? That's rule number One.
Now, after you've squeezed into some clothing, let us take a new notebook out and sit somewhere comfortable. Write across the front: So Long Fatso. This is your food diary. Inside the front cover write the date and your weight. Then write Point B. And then enter weight that you would like to be. (Get it? B is where you want to Be!) This will be your goal weight. You can change Point B later if you think it's necessary. In fact, you will have a bunch of little B's buzzing around. Let's just call these "Bees", shall we? To make our pathetic little notebooks a bit more fun)! You can draw a little bee when you reach Mini goals for 60 days of progress, ten pound milestones and even a little Bee when your jeans go from Jumbo to Giant. And then smaller, and smaller...
What's great about losing weight and eating healthier is that not only does your body change in amazing ways, but your skin does, too. You become more youthful looking, radiant, and happy. A smile is priceless. Even your hair texture will change. And your nails. And eyes. And your outlook on life.
The difficult part about this whole journey is choosing which diet you want to follow. There are so many out there. I'm going to follow a diet that a trainer put me on a few years ago and it was successful for me. (Until I ran over Point B with a massive rolling cheesecake and smothered it in nacho cheese -until I forgot- and became lost- and my eyes were glazed with jelly donuts and denial.
We will discuss exercise and portions and all that stuff as we go. The most important thing is that you know it's time. You've told yourself the truth.
So let's get ready. Tomorrow we begin. Good luck, Fatso!

7 comments:

  1. Okay Rae,once again you are right. I have gained about 8 pounds and I have lied to myself every morning. Of course I am blaming the holidays. Like a holiday can put a giant piece of sweet, gooey pastry in my mouth! And I always tell myself that I ate too much for dinner last night. Since Xmas day I have caught myself trying to hold on to the towel bar as I climb on the scale! I know I am just fooling myself but this lie has got to stop. I even let myself have some chocolate knowing what it would do to me. So,once again I am trying to loose the same old fat pounds I have lost so many times before. I imagine I have made this poor tired body loose at least 200 pounds in its lifetime. How sad. I need to take much better care of it starting right this minute! So here's to all of us who want to have a great life! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how losing ten pounds takes two months, but gaining it just takes a weekend! Lol! I've been feeding my cheesecake, salty snack cravings since October and I'm now a walking slice of cream cheese with chips! I have a milestone birthday in May and that's my goal. I have to do this! So glad you're joining me!

      Delete
  2. You are one amazing woman Rae, I have always loved your posts, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carla! You've always been a great cheerleader for me and I appreciate your encouragement. I'm gonna need it ! Lol!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rae. I appreciate your posts. I think it will be easier to stay on target when you do it with a team. My strategy: an intentional, balanced diet. When I actually do it, I find that really curbs cravings. Seems like a no-brainer, but I get so distracted by all the junk food I see around me - that's the hard part! You walk into the grocery store and you're bombarded in every aisle. You go to a potluck and it's slammed with desserts. You go to work, and your co-worker has brought pie. So, let's get this New Year started with something really good for us - healthy FOOD ROCKS!
      Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bzucLY-Ues

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sandra! I've found that sugar is my vise and carbs don't help either. Yes, healthy eating is always a good start to a better lifestyle. Looking forward to a big garden this year and visiting the grocery stores less often.

      Delete